Wednesday, July 15, 2015

m-m-mango

Have been seeing mango in the markets. Some are imported from Mexico and are reasonably priced.

On the other hand, the krazy priced ones are "local"...from Miyazaki (Kyushu) or Okinawa.

The highest priced one I've seen was 8000 yen...for one!

At the fruit and veggie stand that I often shop at, they had one for 500 yen!

I thought this was a bargain, so I bought one for us to try.

It weighed 300 grams or so (a little over half a pound).

The mango comes with "instructions" on how to cut and eat it.

The flyer in the container and sticker on the mango is also the mango's "proof" that it was grown in Okinawa.

The flyer also refers to the mango as a "tamago" which means "egg" which I thought was kind of strange.

This mango was really ripe.

I tried cutting a piece like the way they said to on their instructions, but found it to be a p.i.t.a. and ended up peeling the mango instead, way easier!

This mango seemed really sinewy (stringy) to me.

I can't tell you what variety it was, but I think the ones I've eaten in Hawaii were a bit firmer with less "strings".

Anyway, this was deliciously sweet and I'm glad we got to try this.

What fruits have you been enjoying this summer?

9 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Hi Kat, Ooohh, I love love love mango, I used to go Chinatown to a special store just to get Big Island mangoes at 5.99 a pound. It was really tasty and smooth, not stringy. Only thing they didn't have it the last two years I checked, they had changed to either Kauai or Maui farms, which unfortunately wasn't that good. :( Mich

jalna said...

Ahahahaha!! The first person that came to my mind when I read this post was Mich. And lo and behold . . . whose comment is the first? Too funny!

tofugirl said...

holy cow, that is a pricey mango! We get the small yellow alphonso mangoes here for about $1.49 a pound in the summer. But lately all I've been eating is the local berries--blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. So many. Gotta load up while they're available :D

K and S said...

aw that is too bad that they changed farms Mich :(

that is funny Jalna :)

indeed Tofugirl...ooh blueberries, strawberries and raspberries, enjoy!

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

Whoa......that's one pricey mango. Hope it was worth it!

K said...

Haha I love how it tells you how cheap it is right on the container - ha!

K and S said...

a bit stringy, Kirk, but I'm glad we tried it :)

they love to put stickers on everything K!

Take care you two.
Kat

Marie said...

I love mango, but have never bought one to eat at home. I always think it's going to be a hassle to cut, which I just need to get over! I have been eating lots of blueberries; they're so good these days!

K and S said...

I agree it is sometimes a bit of a hassle to cut, Marie, but just think of the rewards :) hope you give it a go!

Take care.
Kat