Thursday, February 19, 2015

won bok salad

In Hawaii, we call napa cabbage (chinese cabbage), "won bok". In Japan, we call it "hakusai".

In the markets here, you can buy the napa cabbage whole, or for smaller families, in fourths, I've even seen them in eighths!

Since I had some hakusai leftover, I used it in a salad that my mom used to make.

Wash your hakusai well and then slice thin.

Then pour this dressing over it....

Won Bok Salad Dressing adapted from "Wisteria Delights"
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 clove garlic, grated
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons salt (omitted)
1/2 teaspoon pepper, ground
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon grainy mustard

Combine everything in a blender and pour over sliced won bok.

NOTES: I made 1/4 of this recipe and put everything into a jar and shook everything (instead of blending in a blender) before pouring it over the salad.

The original recipe calls for Coleman mustard which I believe is a dry mustard. I didn't have this and substituted with some grainy mustard.

The flavors were a little different from what I remembered which could be due to the mustard, but this salad stays quite crisp.

Make this ahead so that everything can meld.

It still isn't salad weather here, but I'm glad I re-connected with this salad.

p.s. if you are celebrating Chinese New Year, Kung Hee Fat Choy!

4 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

Oh yum! Great idea; I want to make.

KirkK said...

Those Hongwanji and Community Cookbooks are always great Kat!

K said...

I love hakusai, looks great!

K and S said...

I hope you like it Sheri!

they really are Kirk!

Thanks K!

Take care everyone.
Kat