Thursday, October 09, 2014

trying new recipes

I tried a couple of new recipes from David Lebovitz's book "The Sweet Life in Paris".

When I read this book earlier this year, I found myself chuckling with some of the dilemmas that he came across with life in France because they were similar to my experiences in Japan.

Along with his many stories, he also included many recipes.

One that caught my eye was this, "Spiced Mixed Nuts". I love to munch on things especially nuts.

Instead of butter, I used coconut oil.

Do you use coconut oil? I am kind of on the fence about it. For one, it leaves a weird residue in my mouth afterwards.

Am wondering if you think the oil is rancid already?!

And you have to "plan" on what you use it in because it makes things taste and smell "coconutty".

It supposedly has great health benefits, but for the two reasons above, I hardly use it.

Anyway, I want to re-try this one using butter like his recipe directs. Also, I didn't put pretzels in it like his recipe, so I want to add that in too.

The other recipe I tried was his "Peanut Slaw".

I forgot to put shoyu (soy sauce) in the dressing.

I also added some sweet chili sauce because my peanut butter isn't sweetened and I also thought the dressing needed some "heat".

I also put in some green onions because I didn't have cilantro.

Loved the flavors and crunch from the cabbage and carrots. I added the peanuts just before serving because I didn't want them getting soggy.

I'll have to try both of these recipes again....hopefully soon!

4 comments:

Rowena said...

Didn't know about those characteristics on coconut oil - I just changed my mind about buying it (too expensive anyway).

K and S said...

I bought it in Hawaii Rowena because Japan too is very expensive. I hate to throw it out if it isn't rancid...

Take care!
Kat

K said...

Looks great! I actually use coconut oil as a body lotion, I get the jar from Trader Joe's where it's not terribly pricey, haha.

K and S said...

Thanks K! will think about using it as a lotion.

Take care.
Kat